Sunday, November 25, 2007

Stefan and the eating game

I had another kid who played eating games with me years ago. This game makes me a little nutty. Stefan needs to eat. He can easily fall into a non-eating pattern as I have seen before. I spent a good portion of the afternoon trying to get him to open his mouth and eat. I know there are those who theorize that if he gets hungry enough he will eat but......I have seen this kid jump off the bottom of the weight scale so I am just not going there. The game is.....give Stefan something interesting to look at and he might accidently forget and open his mouth. If there is a guest, they should come and talk to me as this may make Stefan forget.....and open his mouth. Sigh. Life is much smoother when that kid has calories in his stomach and he is most charming and the kids say he is hobbit face cute when happy. He is not a hobbit. He doesn't seem to like to eat. Sigh, sigh and double sigh. It isn't as if there were something else that might be nice to do on a Sunday afternoon so yes, I am whining. He just ate. We managed to get all his siblings to eat quickly too with no bickering. The latest trick is to turn on the tv and he might watch it and ......eat. But, what happened was his siblings heard the tv and inhaled their food so they could come see the kid hypnotizer. Somehow with miscellaneous stuff that was brought to Stefan, he ate too. Phew. I think it is 'get the kids ready for bed drill time now'.

4 comments:

Susan said...

>>those who theorize that if he gets hungry enough he will eat<<

That's true. For most kids. Most of the time. But there are exceptions to every rule. Maggie was never much interested in food. Now as she's hitting puberty, she's finally beginning to eat. But even as a toddler, we had to try to get food into her. Some kids just will not eat, even if they're hungry. It's not normal, but it happens, and so few parents can understand that a kid would not bother to eat!

Karin said...

This is true. His 'not eating' is not something I can just sit by and overlook after seeing him so skinny and miserable. This hunger strike may be a result of the MMR vaccination so hopefully it will not last too long. It is also to me a matter of his not falling into a bad pattern because this vaccine can have this symptom of lost appetite. Will he have a desire to regain an appetite? This mom is skeptical.

Anita said...

Wanna trade kids for a day? Mine no more then push away from the table and the war cry starts, "I'm Hungeryyyy! What can I have to eat?"

It's good that you are following your instincts and watching his patterns with a close eye. You are such a great mom Karin! Mothering can be a frustrating guessing game and as soon as you get the current game rules figured out they go and change them on you.

I'll say a little prayer for you and Stephan today :)

Karin said...

Thank you Anita. You are very sweet. I managed to get something in him last night and he slept good. So did I. ;o)