Saturday, July 19, 2008

Chicken tractors




Some reader from a far who I have never met asked my mother what in the world a chicken tractor was so I am going try find an old picture of one. They are basically a cage with a lid that gets moved once a day to fresh grass and fresh bugs for the chickens health and protection from the critters. The picture on the bottom is of a turkey tractor actually and is pretty old. Matthew raised his first batch of 25 turkeys when he was 7 years old. He went out there faithfully and the birds were HUGE by the time they left the farm. You can see how huge they were and how 7 Matthew was from the picture. That was at least five years ago.



The picture on top is of Erik, ten at the time, pulling the tractor forward. I have done this on occasion, but not this year. We chose not to raise turkeys this year so we just have chickens. They still are doing remarkably well. I hope that helps the readers know what a chicken/turkey tractor is.

3 comments:

Debbie Theiss said...

You guys are amazing! I can barely get my keester to the grocery store to buy the chickens! ;-)

sarahlaughed said...

Chicken tractors were NO FUN for me because whenever I would try to move them, the chickens would invariably slip out from beneath the cage. Don't ask me how...they found a way!

Karin said...

I understand. We have one kid sort of herd the chickens from behind and sound the alarm if one is causing a problem while the other one pulls. I should take current pictures before the chickens leave on vacation. ;o)