Saturday, April 12, 2008

Homer exhibit

So I loved the Homer exhibit. He is my kind of artist. He reminds me of one of Rembrandt's collections where he illustrates the parables and the people are all very 'real people' sort of people. Not that they just looked real but you felt like you were right there with them catching a glimpse of ordinary life. Homer's painting are like that to me. He painted in many different settings. There was one in particular of a mountain guide sitting by a campfire and a HUGE fallen tree which I would love a copy of. It reminded me of Charley. The ocean pictures of fisherman's wives and children keeping watch for them were some of my favorite too as it showed a glimpse of the lives of families looking hopefully for their father's return. Not really romantic but real and a bit chilling.

Erik really enjoyed the exhibit as well and kept returning to different parts of the exhibit to make sure he hadn't missed anything. I am pretty sure he read every single description. I might have but brought the wrong glasses and it was sort of a challenge. When we got to the Hopper exhibit, our feet, backs and stomachs got the better of us and we opted for a quick looksie and then went to the cafeteria for lunch. I knew Erik was hungry when I asked him if he wanted to just walk through the rest of the exhibit quickly with me and he asked if he could go with Grandma who was going right away to the cafeteria. Sometime a young boys stomach rules over interest.

It was a good day. I wish I could have figured out some new areas of Chicago to look at that were close to the train station but didn't think we would have any time left to do that so hadn't looked into it. I also think it would be easier to drive in myself as it took three hours to get there and three back. Ugh. When I drive it takes less than two and the drivers don't make me that nuts. That would leave more time and flexibility to look around.

No comments: