Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What Susan said

I cannot explain things quite the way Susan does but she has another great post on Singing the Hymns. When we came to Emmaus I must say it was somewhat purposeful that we chose the pew we did. There is a woman who sits a few pews back who sings out and I love it. I have told her so. When I have not been able to sing or had the tears experience, it has been encouraging to hear the words sung out behind me. When I hear my son who has found his voice sing out in church, catechesis or the yard, it is such an encouragement to me. This morning my nine year old boy participated with purpose and attention to catechesis as he never has before and that nearly brought tears to my eyes. He is a young boy who has struggled with reading and to hear that he is able to participate and hear the words himself as he engaged in singing was sweet. Those words will certainly minister to his heart as they did to mine.

When my oldest daughter laments missing the divine service, then we are commiserating together of how much that means to us. I need that encouragement more than I am able to receive it as the pastors are finite people. But we do still have our daily prayers to fill in the gaps.

I am not sure how to encourage others to sing out either. When my dh and I were first married he did not sing at all and I think that was because he felt he couldn’t. I think it also because his family did not sing out either. My family did (understatement) Charley and I had some singing lessons, conversation about how awesome it is to participate, and now he sings out and on key. Who cares if he is choir worthy or not, he still is able to sing out. Actually the singing lessons occurred when I realized I was going to be sitting next to him for the rest of our married life so……..I put him through the paces. Selfish eh? We don’t get to sit next to each other so much anymore but his kids can hear him.

So if you can, go to Susan's Pendulum and read her thoughts. I don't know how to make that a link.

No comments: