Saturday, September 20, 2008

Oh beloved tomato and books

So sings my 7 yo dd while squishing tomatoes in the kitchen. The song can sort of get on your nerves eventually as it is the same words over and over again but, we will have LOTS of tomato sauce this winter. Don't complain about annoying songs while the assembly line is in action.

I mowed a little lawn this afternoon which helped lift my spirits some. I did behave myself so the experience did not last long but it was fun just the same.

Dh acquired a newer to him truck and he is off to the church to work on the sacristy steps. Do be careful pastors if you don't notice it. Perhaps I will give one of them a call who may not read this or talk to me between now and tomorrow morning. Hopefully the repaired steps will improve the appearance of the church some from the outside.

I am reading, reading, reading for my Literary Analysis classes. 'War of the Worlds' is the current read. It is ok. I think I get the gist of the story with basically everyone fleeing the martians. It would be nice if they would do something other than flee and die but I am only on page 90 so we shall see. 'Our Town' was pretty good. I haven't read that in 25 years or so. I vaguely remember a few of the scenes. 'Rilla of Ingleside' was interesting and I didn't remember that it basically chronicles all of WWI from the Canadian perspective. It was a quick read as the characters interacted and did not run away from martians at all ;o) I think I like realistic tales better than the Sci Fi thing. Next will be 'Animal Farm'. Who knew I would be reading so much. I think my brain is waking up from a long dream.......perhaps I have been beamed from distant planet of dishes and diapers for years and am now waking up to......dishes and diapers. It was a nice planet, better than Mars I am sure.

My magically exploding baby needs some attention.......

2 comments:

Nat said...

War of the Worlds is one of my favorite novels. Wells provokes a feeling of believability and simplicity that is more compelling than almost any other science fiction. This is even after you account for some of the quaint bits of technology he employs, such as the Martians' cylinders being shot from a huge "space gun," a popular late 19th century concept.

But it really is such a simple book. It is about frailty and death, and in a sense, redemption. Unlike the vast majority of alien-invasion stories, in which the humans and aliens engage in some convoluted, improbable tug-of-war over the Earth, Wells posits the rather more likely (if more frightening) concept that they would simply kill us without very much trouble.

Um, anyway. I don't know what particular role the book plays in your study of literature - I assume it is included because of its status as early serious science fiction - but if you want, I can come over sometime during class and babble on for however long on Wells' writing style, his predictions, and his impact on future science fiction.

I'm also a big fan of Animal Farm, but my dad would be the authority on that one...

Karin said...

I am not sure of the reason 'War of the Worlds' was the book of choice for the curriculum Mrs. S. uses but at any rate, I read them while the kids are and we have a literary discussion about them in class. The book is getting a little better, keeping in mind I am not a big Sci Fi person or at least I never have been. Perhaps we could arrange a meeting at Panara or something with the boys and you when they are done, to discuss the book similar to how and Pastor G. did with you and Zach and others. Thanks for your insight. Feel free to tell me all about it as well. Reading and rereading these books has been interesting.