Sunday, July 15, 2007

Older kids away

Anna, Erik, and their buddies Nat and Maggie are off helping at a camp for the handicapped or at least developmentally handicapped. I am not sure of the extent of their disabilities but Sandy took them there this afternoon. She said they were each paired with a camper to help through the week. I am sure this will be an experience unlike any other experience they have had. They weren't sure what to expect and I know I will be very curious to hear about it when they return.

It will be odd without the older two here. I will be spending the next week when they return with my older two and Maggie at Higher Things so I am sure I will hear all about it on the way to Minneapolis.

We spent the evening out by the campfire. Martin and Matthew roasted marshmallows and Matthew did his best to keep reading Harry Potter book five until the fire got too low to read it. I shared with Charley that Matthew's reading appetite paled in comparison to the reading nut I was as a kid. He wanted to know when I found time but quickly observed I did not have chores of the animal variety and lived in town with both parents working. When did I read????? Every chance I got. So......I sort of sympathize with Matthew's reading appetite. Oh, Charley asked what I do with my vast knowledge and I told him I use it torture him.....heh, heh, heh.....

We will try not to have too much fun while the older ones are away......

2 comments:

Presbytera said...

I would imagine that your two oldest are a big help to you. Someone will have to pick up all those chores! Where did you hear of this opportunity for service for the four of them?

Karin said...

Lutheran Social Services had a meeting this spring that Sandy and Charley went to with the kids. They came home signed up! Stefan is going to pick up the slack while they're gone. Put him in the middle of the room and tell the kids to protect Stefan from himself. Just kidding. Matthew and Martin and a huge help as well. It gets sort of questionable with the next two....