Thursday, June 07, 2007

What would Mary and Martha do?

They would not have worn nylons that is what they would have done. My poor mom is off to some sort of pastor function and was lamenting sweating during a church service so......I asked her the awful question "You're not going to wear nylons are you?" and the answer was "Of course! What would the ladies think if I didn't?" Personally I pay zero attention to what people have on their legs especially during the summer. I am SOO glad my generation finds it hip to not wear them. I have this memory of going to the Chapel at Valpo as a young person and nearly fainting because it was incredibly hot and my mom insisted I wear nylons. I grew to dread the kneelers in summer because that is when it would happen. "Karin, why are you tipping over?" "It's the nylons mom." I will not put my daughters through that torture. I don't recall ever looking at another woman and thinking "Is she wearing nylons?" I think I have looked at a person wearing nylons in the summer and thought to myself, "The poor dear was born too early. She is shamed into wearing them." Skirt length is a different issue entirely.

So there! That is my deep thinking of the day.

4 comments:

Anita said...

I totally agree!

Sloppy Classical said...

For what it's worth, I've decided, or rather discovered, that nylons are actually bad for your FEET! They curl up your toes, causes ingrown toenails, etc. They're nasty. Now, I'm on a mission to find shoes I can stand to wear without nylons, to church! :-)

Sloppy Classical said...

Nylons, or "tights" as they are called for my daughters, cause my girls to "pull and tug" in embarrassing ways, so I think I need to abandon them in my girls' wardrobes too!

Karin said...

Sort of like how certain boys need to have their pockets sewn shut?